Start with Rest
Top 10 Ways to Promote Healthy Sleep Habits
- Get outside and earn it. Being outside and getting adequate vitamin D through our skin cells promotes a Melatonin release at night.
- Be as active as you can. Move throughout the day. Circulate your blood and rest heavy.
- Block out the light. Black out shades and eliminating technology. Been shown to disrupt circadian rhythm and effect your sleep cycles.
- Hydrate early. Hydrate throughout the day but have a water curfew. Too much water will keep you making trips to the bathroom.
- Balance your blood sugar. Make sure to not eat lots of carbohydrates before bed. If you go for a nighttime snack reach for protein or better yet good fats.
- Eliminate inner chatter. Write down things you need to remember. Have your tomorrow list outlined on paper. Let your mind forget.
- Turn of your electronics. Have a curfew. At least 90 minutes prior to you wanting to sleep.
- Make your bedroom a sleep sanctuary. Get rid of the noise and other tasks. Keep TV and work out of your bedroom. Leave for sleep and sex.
- Oxytocin release. Laugh. Hug. Make love. Orgasm.
- Alcohol and caffeine curfew. Caffeine no later than noon. Alcohol limit 1-2 per dinner. Eliminate both if possible. Disrupts ability to run sleep cycles.